Oratorical Contest 2019
Friday, February 22, 2019
94TH ANNUAL ORATORICAL CONTEST OF THE BATTLE OF FLOWERS® ASSOCIATION
Friday, February 22, 2019 at the Witte Museum in San Antonio
9:00 am – Preliminary round of speeches
1:15 pm – Final round of speeches
Held annually on a topic of Texas history since 1926, our oratorical contest is the oldest university and college-level competition in the state of Texas. Our historical event awards generous monetary prizes to its five top finalists.
The topic for the 2019 Oratorical Contest is:
THE LONE STAR STORY: AN EPIC SAGA OF THE EVENTS THAT CHANGED TEXAS FOREVER
The benefits for students selected to compete in this prestigious competition are many:
- For our 2019 contest, the prizes will be $3,000 for first place, $1,500 for second place, $1,000 for third place, $750 for fourth place and $500 for fifth place.
- NEW THIS YEAR: The total monetary awards to be given to the university department of the student’s Faculty Advisor for each of the top three contestant Places have been increased; $1,000 for First Place, $750 for Second Place and $500 for Third Place.
- Contestants who have delivered their entire speech by memory during the Preliminary Round but are not chosen for the Final Session will each receive an award of $125.
- The contest winner will deliver his or her speech to an audience of 500 dignitaries and association members at the Battle of Flowers annual Luncheon to be held during Fiesta Week on Thursday, April 25, 2019.
- The following day, Friday, April 26, 2019, the contest winner will ride in the Battle of Flowers Parade through downtown San Antonio. This is the third largest parade in the nation and is televised to over 1 million people.
- Copies of the first and second place speeches will be archived in the Battle of Flowers Associations permanent records.
Students interested in entering the Oratorical Contest should go to Important 2019 Contest Information & Application shown below. Please take a moment to view the video featured on our website, as this provides a better understanding of our contest day and subsequent activities/benefits for the first place winner. We also have a Facebook Page at battleofflowersoratorical that showcases contest information and photographs. Don’t delay as entries and supporting documentation must be returned on or before November 1, 2018 to the email address listed below!
Kathleen LeFlore, 2019 Oratorical Contest Chair
Helen Eversberg, 2019 University Liaison
Important 2019 Contest Information & Application: