Oratorical Contest 2017
Friday, February 24, 2017
92ND ANNUAL ORATORICAL CONTEST OF THE BATTLE OF FLOWERS® ASSOCIATION
Friday, February 24, 2017 at the Witte Museum in San Antonio
9:00 am – Preliminary round of speeches
1:15 pm – Final round of speeches
Held annually on a topic of Texas history since 1926, our oratorical contest is the oldest university and college-level competition in the state of Texas. Our historical event awards generous monetary prizes to its five top finalists.
The topic for the 2017 Oratorical Contest is:
BLAZING TRAILS: FORTS ON THE TEXAS FRONTIER
The benefits for students selected to compete in this prestigious competition are many:
- For our 2017 contest, the prizes will be $3,000 for first place, $1,500 for second place, $1,000 for third place, $750 for fourth place and $500 for fifth place.
- Contestants who have delivered their entire speech by memory during the Preliminary Round but are not chosen for the Final Session will each receive an award of $125.
- The contest winner will deliver his or her speech to an audience of 500 dignitaries and association members at the Battle of Flowers annual Luncheon to be held during Fiesta Week on Thursday, April 27, 2017.
- The following day, Friday, April 28, 2017, the contest winner will ride in the Battle of Flowers Parade through downtown San Antonio. This is the third largest parade in the nation and is televised to over 1 million people.
- Copies of the first and second place speeches will be archived in the Battle of Flowers Associations permanent records.
Students interested in entering the Oratorical Contest should go to Important 2017 Contest Information & Application shown below. Please take a moment to view the two videos featured on our website, as these provide a better understanding of our contest day and subsequent activities/benefits for the first place winner. We also have a Facebook Page at battleofflowersoratorical that showcases contest information and photographs. Don’t delay as entries and supporting documentation must be returned on or before November 1, 2016 to the email address listed below!
Susan Lane, 2017 Oratorical Contest Chair
Mimi Riley, 2017 University Liaison